The International Institute of Metabolic Medicine (IIMM) is committed to elevating the standard of medical education in the region, as part of this effort, the IIMM has designed a social service clinical – educational program intended for medical students in their final stage of training.
The Social Service Provider (SSP) will be involved in an academic ambulatory bariatric and metabolic surgery supercenter with global presence and partnerships with American and European universities. The SSP will have opportunities to participate in large research projects, obtain publications, assist directly in the care of international patients and take classes and workshops at the Academy of Surgical Innovation, a state of the art facility hosting world renowned faculty, the latest simulation technologies and cutting edge audiovisual equipment.
The responsibilities of the SSP involve participation in the care of all patients under the supervision of the faculty and fellows. The duties include working up patients, prescribing and
administering treatment, and participating in operations. Operative responsibilities are assigned according to progress in training and ability. The SSP participates in a large number of teaching exercises at the bedside and in formal conferences and shares with the senior staff the responsibility for presenting cases at these activities.
April 1: Students may browse opportunities in our social service section. May 1: Applications accepted.
July 3: We will begin to extend offers for available slots.
August 1: Official program start date.
- Applicants must submit all required documents (see below) at the same time between May 1st 2023 and May 26th 2023 in order to be considered for appointment.
- All documents must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
- Please do not contact IIMM or its faculty regarding the social service application process by any other means. Phone calls / emails to other addresses inquiring about the status of an application will not be received / processed.
- Eligible applicants selected for interview will be contacted via email starting July 3rd 2023.
- Interviews will be held virtually from July 5th to July 14th.
- Selected applicants will be notified of their status on July 17th and informed of the following steps via email.
- Copy of academic transcript.
- This evaluation should include your final grade and (optional, highly recommended) comments regarding your performance.
- Proof of personal health insurance.
- AAMC standardized / SSA immunization form (USA/Mexico respectively).
- Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card.
- Background check:
- National criminal database search / Carta de no antecedentes penales.
- Office of Inspector General excluded parties list / Constancia de no inhabilitación.
- General Services Administration excluded parties list.
Admission into the Social Service Program does not constitute admission or matriculation into UC San Diego School of Medicine, University of Oxford, Tec de Monterrey or any other affiliated academic institution. Any expenses required for disability accommodation of a visiting student must be borne by the student’s home institution.